Can an American Get a Job in London?

Are you an American looking for job opportunities in London? Learn how you can get a job legally by obtaining a valid work visa from British Embassy.

Can an American Get a Job in London?

Are you an American looking to work in London? It can be a daunting task, but with the right resources and knowledge, it is possible. To be eligible to work in the UK, you need a work visa from the British Embassy in the US. Unfortunately, obtaining a work visa is a process that can only be carried out by an employer who wants to hire you and can demonstrate why a particular US candidate is better suited to that position than any candidate from the EU. To make matters worse, work permits can only be obtained for certain professions (not for office work, for example).For specific information on requirements, see this site for procedures and the availability of work permits.

Can't I just move to the UK and then look for work? Technically, it's illegal for Americans to enter the UK and start looking for work and interviewing when you have a tourist visa. In reality, a lot of people do. How can I legally find work in the UK? If I can't look for work in the UK, my husband, for example, found work in London after meeting with the New York office of an investment bank and interviewing their London office by teleconference. Investment banks and news organizations have traditionally been an important source of jobs for Americans in London. With links to lots of real estate agents and descriptions of neighborhoods, is a great place to start. The cost of housing in London has skyrocketed in recent years; the rental prices of apartments are calculated according to a weekly rate, and the British calculate 4.3 weeks in a month. Where should I live in London? London is an endless series of interconnected neighborhoods and towns, each with its own distinctive character.

That's why choosing your location is very important. To be successful in expatriating to the United Kingdom, but for almost every American I know here in London, it's been worth it. Jill Gordon, who lives in London, collaborates regularly with Transitions Abroad. To travel to the United States on a temporary basis, including tourism, temporary employment, study and exchange. For foreign citizens who want to live permanently in the United States, the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of participating countries* to travel to the United States without a visa for stays of 90 days or less when they meet all requirements. Citizens with emergencies, call (0), 20-7499-9000 Learn more about quality higher education opportunities in the US that you won't find anywhere else in the world.

Take free online courses at your own pace and earn personalized certificates. Government agencies work with the United Kingdom, some with offices at the Embassy and others across the country. With the exception of some positions, you don't need to be an US citizen to work at the Embassy. When applying, you must have the full current legal right to work in the United Kingdom. In your application, you must provide us with details about your legal right to work in the United Kingdom. Even if you're British, we want you to address this fact.

Before closing (date and time), you must submit evidence of your legal right to work in the United Kingdom such as a copy of your passport, biographical page and work visa page. Please do not send originals by mail. If you do not provide this documentation, your request will no longer be processed. If you are invited to the Embassy for evaluation, you will be asked to submit your original documentation on the legal right to work for verification by the Office of Human Resources. We DO NOT sponsor any job seeker for any vacancy. Citizens who already live in the United Kingdom must ensure that they have the legal right to work in the United Kingdom and should contact the Home Office to obtain the appropriate visa.

DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION if you currently do not have the legal right to work in the United Kingdom or if that right is about to expire or if that right has restrictions imposed that prevent you from entering into an employment contract with the Embassy. Please note that in all of these cases we will NOT sponsor you or consider your request later on. To perform all duties and responsibilities of some positions at the Embassy US citizenship is required to obtain the required level of security clearance. Citizens will not be considered for these types of functions. Please note that the Embassy will not sponsor US citizens working on local employee vacancies. Both Transitions Abroad and Go Abroad are great resources for finding work opportunities for everyone even if you're looking for work in London as a recent US graduate. PCG (an employer of Americans in London) wrote an excellent article on the main differences between US and UK workplace culture which I think summarizes this experience quite well. Finding a job in London as an American takes time especially when looking for one that suits you best (I'm totally against accepting any job presented just for a visa there's no point moving around just to hate what you do every day).

The best job board I've seen so far for jobs in London is The Guardian a major London newspaper with a large web presence. It goes without saying that best jobs for Americans in London are at companies that can sponsor them. Volunteer work for foreigners in London: If you want to volunteer in London technically it would still be included as a “job” so you'll have to consider obtaining a charitable worker visa to come here as volunteer. The best jobs for Americans in London (and anywhere really) would be those found within their current field and industry. Right now I would never apply for a work visa as an American as it would mean I wouldn't be able to legally manage my Candace Abroad business here...